PRESS RELEASES

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 27, 2017

MCMC Responds to Supreme Court Decision on President Trump's Muslim Ban Executive Order

Montgomery County--The Montgomery County Muslim Council (MCMC) is deeply troubled bythe decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in allowing a limited version of the Trump administration's "Muslim ban." It ignores the anti-Muslim bigotry at the heart of this policy.

The court said the ban on visitors from six Muslim-majority nations could be enforced as long asthose individuals lack a "credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States." Justices will hear arguments on the case in October. MCMC urges the Supreme Court to affirm the Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit which recalled Mr. Trump's own inflammatory campaign declarations in ruling that the order violated the First Amendment's ban on government establishment of religion.

"Rather than keeping anybody safe it is causing anxiety and demonizing an entire group of innocent people," said MCMC President Shafiq Khan. "We are grateful for the generous donation by David Trone to the to assist Montgomery County residents who may be impacted by the Trump administrations travel ban and we encourage representatives from both sides of the aisle to speak out on behalf of any minority group negatively affected by such actions," said MCMC Chairman Qaisar Shareef. If Montgomery County residents encounter any travel problems because of the Muslim ban please contact the Catholic Legal Immigration Network. Inc.

To read Muslim Advocate's reaction to this unfortunate turn of events, please access the following link. MCMC was founded in 2003 with the objective of encouraging and facilitating civic engagement among all members of the Muslim community in Montgomery County, Maryland.

###

Contact: press@mcmcmd.org, website: www.mcmcmd.org

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 31, 2017

President Trump's order banning immigrants and refugees from Seven Muslim Majority countries

On January 27, 2017 President Donald Trump signed an executive order titled "Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into the United States". This order was implemented effective immediately throwing into chaos the travel plans of thousands of travelers: visitors, immigrants and U.S. citizens alike. The order bans the entry to the United States of immigrants and visitors from seven Muslim majority countries – Iraq, Iran, Syria, Yemen, Libya, Sudan, and Somalia for 90 days, while refugees from Syria are banned from entry to the U.S. indefinitely.

While the intent of the order is understandable the actual effect of this order will hardly enhance the security of our country nor keep any would be terrorists out of the country. There are very extensive vetting procedures already in place for all visa applicants from these countries and more. If necessary these procedures could be further tightened. Additionally, there have been no incidences of visitors, refugees or immigrants from any of these countries ever being involved in terrorist attacks on U.S. soil.

This executive order simply further stigmatizes the American Muslim population as it drives further suspicion of all in this already marginalized community. The fact that the order was hastily instituted without regard to those already on their way to the U.S. with all needed documents led to many travellers being held up, arrested and even returned back to their countries of origin. Such treatment of visitors and immigrants who already had been vetted and approved for travel to the U.S. is grossly unfair and is not in keeping with the values of United States.

We at Montgomery County Muslim Council strongly urge the administration to review the impact of this executive order and take steps that are truly necessary to keep our country safe. Banning visitors from countries that are working hand in hand with the U.S. government in our fight against terrorism will not enhance the security of our country or our people.

Board of Directors Montgomery County Muslim Council


Date: January 10, 2014

Today, we are all grieving with the people of France. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of France during this time of mourning. The unfortunate events that had begun unfolding on January 7, 2014 in the cities of Dammartin-En-Goele and Porte-de- Vincennes, France are both disturbing and unacceptable. These incomprehensible acts of crime against freedom of speech is not only an attack on democracy but an attack against all Muslims living peacefully around the world. We stand behind the people of France, the victims, and their family members. We are particularly saddened because the perpetrators of these crimes have invoked the name of our religion.

Regardless, of religion, ethnicity and geographic residence, we are all one for the perseverance of humanity and can not let criminals instill fear and hatred within our hearts and spirits. As a community we must stand united against individuals whose goal is to take human lives.

When any form of tragedy and violence such as these occur, our hearts go out to the victims and their families. Acts of violence such as these must remind us of the importance of community cohesion and prevention of violence for not only our families but for our future generations. We stand in solidarity with all who are against violence on individuals based on religion, race, ethnicity and ideological views.

Deepest Condolences,
Montgomery County Muslim Council